25 Nov 2008

Mytek 8x192 - My new DAC











http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/8x192adda.htm


After a few months' consideration, I purchased the Mytek 8x192 to replace the Benchmark DAC-1. Benchmark has been my closest hi-fi comrade for 3 years. Mytek is not cheap and buying Mytek is not an easy process; I ordered it via online but it was out of stock, and I waited for more than a month. One of the Mytek's staff, Michal emailed me to ask for billing details and invoices, I then remitted US$ to their account and waited for another week before getting my new DAC.

Well, at least I get the DAC eventually! After running in for a week, I think it should be a good time and I am excited to give it an initial comment:

  • Very accurate sound from bass all the way to treble, wide and deep sound stage. A good DAC for symphonic music. However, female vocal is not as sweet as Benchmark.
  • Therefore, I still firmly convinced that Benchmark DAC-1 (non-USB version) has probably the hard to beat price-performance ratio in the DAC market.
  • CX797 clock further enhances the accuracy. Currently I am using Lynx AES16e sound card -> Mytek 8x192, but I also connect the clock source is from Mytek to Lynx and let Lynx to use Mytek's word clock. The result is even more accurate sound I cannot listen to music without it.
  • The dual AES wire option of Mytek further enhances the accuracy.
  • The headphone amp is excellent and it drives my Beyer DT990 very well. In contrast, Benchmark does not have enough power to drive DT990. Turning 24-step attenuator (volume knob) back and forth feels so good and sounds very good :)
  • Power is switchable between 110/220 makes it easy to take away to other countries.
  • 8x192 has 2 option slots, makes it very easy to add options and future proof. I purchased the optional 1934 firewire module to maximizes its portability but I still haven't a chance to listen to it yet.
  • I opened the case and took a look inside, the Mytek has a beautiful layout. The workmanship however, it not the top grade. Oh well, who cares when the sound comes out is just excellent.
  • I am surprised to see a small fan inside which generates a small hum when the unit is hot (believe the fan is auto switched). The brand of the fan is Sunon, a reputed brand for its reliability, but it is a bit noisy. In general, the unit is not hot at all, so I believe the fan is added "just in case" for Hong Kong's weather.
  • I also purchased the 3x cable (AES, XLR IN, XLR OUT) for another $549, so I have one less worry about which (expensive) AES/XLR cable to buy. However, only AES cable is essential. There are two XLR analogue output ports.
In summary, Mytek sounds excellent, I believe I am buying a very good sound DAC for that price. Mytek 8x192 is a AD-DA so as a normal home user, I am using 1/8 of it's capability only.
After audited dCS, Weiss, Esoteric, Chord, Benchmark, Stello DACs, I firmly believe Mytek worths every penny :)

2 comments:

yamworld: said...

how much is it?

Appleteapot said...

US$3495 unit only, 1394 option US$795, and you need some 1-2 breakout cables about US$199 each.